Monday, June 15, 2009

Forgive, Forget and Remember...

Whenever anger is dwelling up in my heart, I’m always reminded on this concept…to forgive the person who caused me pain, forget the painful details and move forward and to remember the lessons brought about by that experience. It worked for me, I’m not sure if my friends can also apply the same theory.

I have encountered hurting girlfriends/wives just recently…their boyfriends/husbands walked out on them. Some even had kids who are crying almost everyday looking for their father.

I can only give them my listening ears and nod at them once in a while for I’m not an expert giving advice to such relationship crisis for my married life was a perfect one. Though for these aching women, all they need is someone they can pour out their emotions…advice won’t be necessary for they are very much in pain and the only thing they want is to get even. “I want him to suffer! I want him dead!”

But during their cursing and crying sessions, I can’t help but cry with them, too. Imagine once there’s a very happy relationship who they thought will last a lifetime but suddenly, poof! It sure is the most devastating period of their life. The betrayal and the cheating would cause months of anger, depression, self-pity, remorse, misery, sorrow, and to some, a sense that life has no meaning anymore.

I can really feel their pain…their anger. But I gave my share of not trying to get even no matter how hurt they were. By seeking revenge, it’s like saying that God is not handling things properly. Trusting God with His promise that He’ll take care of us and He won’t allow us, His children to suffer is the best consideration rather than revenge.

To Forgive someone isn’t foolishness; it’s just seeing the offender through God’s eyes. As what was written (Romans 12:19 TM) “Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you…I’ll take care of it.”

Better to Forget that painful episode as fast as you can so it won’t turn into hatred turned into vengeance. Let’s make Jesus as our example, “when he suffered, He didn’t make threats but left everything to the One who judges fairly” (1 Peter 2:23 GWT).

Remember that some lessons we learn only through pain and failure. We only learn the value of a relationship by losing it.

Forgive, forget and remember…that’s how I respond when I’m faced with challenges. By that theory, no one will ever believe that I went through so much pain. Don’t ask me now, I’ve forgotten ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I love this... I know some friends who'd appreciate reading this blog too. Can I share it the link to them? =D - neng

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure Neng! Much apreciated! Mwa!

    ReplyDelete